The demand for public sector services remains significant while funds to meet this demand remain scarce. Despite the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, 9% of Cook County residents (hundreds of thousands) remain uninsured. Health & Medicine remains a leader in advocating for a strong and integrated health care safety net in the region.
Recent activities and achievements include:
- Convening over 700 thought-leaders, policymakers, and stakeholders through our Chicago Forum for Justice in Health Policy, an ongoing discussion series focused on health systems reform and addressing challenges to the health care safety net.
- Conducting research to examine how the ACA and state health reform has enabled the healthcare safety net to enhance services and address the social determinants of health, as well as unintended consequences of reform.
- Continuing to serve as a resource for health systems leaders at the county level (including the Cook County Board and Health System Board) testifying at County Board meetings and advising other groups on how to best work with the public sector.
- Advising Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle on five new appointments to the Cook County Health and Hospitals System (CCHHS) Independent Board; Health & Medicine helped to create the independent board in 2007 and continues to serves on the nominating committee.
- Providing assistance and leadership for the Chicago Department of Public Health's Healthy Chicago 2.0 (the city's four-year plan to improve health throughout Chicago communities) ensuring the inclusion of final goals and objectives related to community development, the social determinants of health, and violence prevention.
- Serving on the HC3 committee working with County leadership and CCHHS to develop solutions to provide health insurance to those not eligible for coverage under the ACA or Medicaid expansion.
- Serving as the leading health policy resource in Chicago and Cook County—advising elected officials at the local and national level, health systems, providers, academics, and more.